Sunday, November 20, 2011


I recently returned from a Home-based Care training in Ethiopia where 14 churches and over 80 attendees were represented.  It was a deeply impacting week together.  Churches were equipped, hearts were encouraged, and once again, I was undone by the generoisty of impoverished men and women who are already caring for orphans and widows in their communities.  What would I have to offer?

On my return flight home, I sat beside a gentleman who asked the question:  "Why do you do what you do"?  I answered his question, but over the past few days have pondered my response further.

My answer to the question seemed simple in the moment.  "Well, I love others and plead the cause of the orphan because God first loved me and compels my heart to love others."  Upon further consideration of this question, of this I am certain:  children who are fatherless need a father, children who are lost need rescue, and children without a voice, need an advocate.

World orphans is committed to rescuing orphans, strengthening indigenous churches, and impacting communities with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  One of the primary ways that we see this accomplished is through the partnering of churches here with the indigenous church around the world.

Meet Milkessa from Ethiopia.  We visited he and his new family while in country.  My heart was deeply moved by the tender ways that his house father displayed loving affection towards the children within his care during our short visit with him.   Milkessa was rescued about a year ago.  His biological father got drunk, came home and killed his mother with a knife.  He then fled the area and no one knows where he is.  Milkessa was rescued, yet his other 5 brothers and one sister still remain in danger.   A young boy without protection and hope now finds himself within the embrace of a loving father with the provision of spiritual, physical, emotional, and mental care.



It is for the rescue and plight of precious children like Milkessa that my heart is unraveled and then enlarged to do what I do.  This is my fifth international trip with World Orphans in one year and reentry following this trip has proved the most challenging of all.  Christmas decorations are in full swing...Thanksgiving Day is upon us, and indulgence is in the air.  How do I reconcile the suffering and need of this world with the indulgences of this holiday season?  

World Orphans has provided an opportunity in the midst of this season for me and others to participate with the rescue of orphans like Milkessa through hosting a Home for the Holidays party.  Invitations, information, and even recipe ideas are provided.  All that is required is a date on your calendar, an open heart, and an open home.  The invitation is for others who would gather together over a hot cup of cider and hear more about the plight of those orphaned, destitute, and abandoned in this world.

As I contemplate Emmanuel - "God with us" and what I might have to offer the least of these this Christmas season, I am reminded of Jesus' words to His disciples that He is in us and will provide for the rescue of the orphan through us.

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.  I will not leave you as orphans but I will come to you."


From one orphan to another,


Until they all have homes.



2 comments:

  1. Well said, Kathy.
    You are a dear servant with a beautiful heart...thanks to Jesus, for what He is doing in and through you...and your work with World Orphans.
    May the Lord grant you peace and abundant joy this season as we give thanks and celebrate Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Kathy Davis.

    ReplyDelete